Sunday, February 14, 2010

Yo Gabba Gabba Conspiracy?

So I have this dear friend that has a dilemma.  Her daughter wants to have a Yo Gabba Gabba birthday party but she's completely opposed to the show.  She says that it has inappropriate overtones of an....how should I put this on my PG blog....intimate nature.  She says the name of one of the characters is very similar to a really bad word (which I had never heard of but she promised to share with me when we were in more adult company) and also she says that the shape of one of the characters is too similar to an intimate female contraption (and apparently she's not the only one!).

I find the show annoying personally but I've watched it with the kids and I think it has nice songs and good messages for kids - be nice to your friends, share, don't be scared, don't hit, etc.

I'm curious if you have ever heard this theory among moms?

7 comments:

  1. Nope, but then again I've never seen the show - and don't recognize the characters you pictured here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What in the world is that mom talking about? I've never heard any of those things about the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never heard those things either about the show???

    hmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. my kids are to old for this show! my kids are to old for this show!

    sorry, it's just kind of nice when they start outgrowing the preschool programs (and by outgrowing I mean giving them up around the age of 8 or 9.)

    i've never seen a whole episode of this show, but i'm equally fascinated, curious and horrified by it all at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Google "Yo Gabba Gabba controversy" and see what you find. Apparently that tall red nubby guy looks a little suspect to some people (myself included, to be honest). I'd never even heard of these little creatures until your post...

    Another reason to be glad I'm past the kid-TV stage. I can actually handle watching Mythbusters with my boy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the suggestion Sherilee...I did just that and found another post about this interesting red figure.

    I've updated the post with the new link! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to admit - I kind of like Yo Gabba Gabba. But the first time we saw it, Chris called that character "the big red [you know]". Weird choice for the designers involved...but whatever. Since preschoolers have no idea what such things are, I'm not all that concerned. I mean really - what could the fallout be? Am I going to find Eleanor on the computer ordering herself sex toys? Please.

    ReplyDelete