Tuesday, February 23, 2010

An Education Indeed

I saw a great movie recently.  It's an Oscar movie to boot.  It's called An Education.  I'm not sure if a lot of people have heard of it (I hadn't) as it's not your typical Hollywood movie, but if you get a chance I would recommend it.  It's very well acted, especially by Carey Mulligan, the girl that plays the main character.

It's about a 16 year old girl in 1960s England who gets seduced by an older charismatic man.  The movie is filled with surprises, most of which for me was how the parents handle this situation.  I found myself both identifying with her as a young girl opening her eyes to the world around her and also scared for her as she takes more and more steps towards adulthood.  I don't want to give anything away in case you see it but it is definitely one of those movies that makes you think and talk about it after you leave the theatre.

If you've seen it, I'd love to know what you thought!

Here's a trailer for the movie:

7 comments:

  1. Shelby and I saw this on Sunday. We both liked it a lot. I just adored her character. Some very tender moments captured so well, particularly the one with her father at her door bringing her a cup of tea and his heart....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh - I've been wondering about this flick. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to see this movie. Glad to hear that you think it is worth seeing. Also, while we were in SF i watched Hang Over one late evening and despite my previous misgivings, i thought it was hilarious! (Another movie you recommended for laughs.) Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm intrigued - I want to see it. I'll check my blockbuster today! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been trying to go see this movie for weeks - the snow keeps postponing it. Now I'm even more intrigued and anxious to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Appropriate for our adolecents? Saw trailer and wasn't sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous - It doesn't have any graphic sexual scenes or even real nudity but it is a grown up subject matter. I think it's appropriate for pre-teens and teens since it's a subject that they can learn from and you can talk about after the movie.

    ReplyDelete