Monday, April 19, 2010

To Capitalize Or Not?

Before I can write a book, I need to figure out how to actually write.

I'm reading a few great memoirs including Angela's Ashes and I just realized after several decades of writing that I'm not fully utilizing (and to be honest, did not really know all the ways) to correctly use a colon. 

One of the things that suprised me is that you can start the connecting sentence after the colon with a lower case letter.  I thought you always had to capitalize that first letter after the colon.  But reading these great writers and doing some research I realize now that my understanding was incorrect.  Although some writing manuals say that you should always capitalize the connecting sentence, there are equally legitimate other authorities that say you don't have to do it (unless it is a quotation or more than one sentence).

So there you have it, I'm still learning how to write sentences. 
Boy, this is going to be a long journey!  :)

6 comments:

  1. that's what editors are for. i say start writing and don't be to hard on yourself....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with slow panic. Just get it out and let an editor help with the details.

    I spent the first five years after college doing copy editing work. It really does stay with you, having to pay close attention to grammar and punctuation all day, every day. If you need/want help or resources, give me a holler.

    Good luck with the writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherilee - Wow, what a generous offer. I may reach out to you once I have some substantive writing done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my grammer sucks the big apple. Big, big.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been given great advice. I'm working on two projects and I can s l o w my progress when I get too detail oriented when it comes to grammar. Just write! : ) I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete