Thursday, April 22, 2010

"Good morning!" She said while walking in the door.

I had a little bit of a panic moment last night when I realized that I don't really know how to write good dialogue.  One year of posts and I think I included dialogue only a hand full of times.

How the hell am I going to write an entire memoir when I don't know how to write dialogue?  Suddenly, a year seems like a very short time to learn everything I need and write something worthwhile.

Then I slowly talked myself off the edge and went on-line and read a couple of articles about how to write dialogue (surprise, surprise, almost all of the articles said listen to dialogue in the real world then practice writing it down and reading it out loud).

This is going to be real work!

Any tips you have on this?

4 comments:

  1. I pay attention when I read other writer's approach to dialogue. When I'm lost in the conversation and not distracted by the "writing" I figure it's good. Then, I try to imitate it. You'll know when it's clumsy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. I know nothing about writing. I am too lazy to sit and read about writing. There are a few classes online that are free for writing. A type of workshop. If you like when I get back home I will send you the links. They are not on my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. write every day. keep reading about writing. talk to writers. write. you can do this. i know you can.

    actually you not only can do this -- you are doing it. yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - I'm trying to do that more often. I've been reading during most of my free time. I need write more.

    Coco - Would love that! Thanks.

    Slow Panic - Thank you. I so need the encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete