Sunday, February 27, 2011

Doing It Together

Four years ago after the birth of my second son I decided that I needed some help losing weight.  When I walked into that first meeting I felt a flood of emotions including incredible sadness that I had to ask for help and couldn't do it by myself.  I never ask for help.  I'm all about being able to do things yourself.  Self sufficiency, strength and independence were my mottoes for most of my life.

But here I was in this meeting admitting that I needed help.  I cried through the entire first meeting.  It was something I had no control of, I couldn't stop.  It wasn't a blubbering cry, just slow hot tears running down my face as I thought about my life and were I had come to.  I stayed with Weight Watchers for six months and lost over 30 lbs.  I was so happy.  It was mostly the weekly meeting that helped me get to the place that I did.  The leader was just the right amount of knowledge, encouragement and guide.

The months following my departure, I lost a few more pounds which was evidence enough to me that I was "cured."  I could do it myself now.  And over the next four years anytime I felt bad about something I would think "at least I haven't gained the weight back" that's something I was really proud of.

Well, it didn't last forever.  Over the last six months I've gained a quarter of that weight back and every time I've tried to brush it off as "just a few pounds" it's gotten worse and worse.  And no amount of shame and effort has helped me get back to myself.

So today I went back to Weight Watchers.  The meeting leader recognized me as I was standing in line to register.  She came over to say hello.  I shook her hand and said "I'm back after four years."  With those words the tears weld up in my eyes and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't stop them from streaming down my face.  I cried through my entire registration process (can you say embarrassing?) and for the first few minutes of the meeting.  Again, not a blubbering cry but slow and constant tears.  Everyone was so nice about it and the meeting leader just said, "don't worry, it will be OK, you're home."  I had to admit that I couldn't keep the weight off and that I needed help again.  Man, was that hard!

So it's my first day back and I feel hopeful again and energized.  Now is when the hard work begins to get back to my good habits.  And make the sacrifices necessary to get to a good place again.

Wish me luck! And if there is anyone out there reading this that is struggling with this issue, I say find a good WW meeting, the people are so supportive and the program is reasonable.  It's OK to ask for help.  :)

6 comments:

  1. Oh man, I'm so sorry! I know how hard it is to slip back! It SUCKS! I am so glad you went back there, since you know it works for you! I'm doing it with you, you know! I have been stuck at a certain weight for MONTHS and I am finally determined to finish my weight loss and reach my goal -- I have about 20 more to go - my goal is to be there by swimsuit season! We can do this together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you know, YOU absolutely can do anything you put your mind to. I'm CERTAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are very brave. I love that you wrote about this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know it works! You can do this. It IS hard - but you have LOTS of support! xoxox

    ReplyDelete